SEALINE - South African Angling and Boating Community Home 
Home Recent Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register


 Moderated by: Trophy, Emperor Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Hobbies / Collections / Sports / Interests ????  Rate Topic 
 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Nov 8th, 2016 03:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Serra Moz
Sealiner


Joined: Sun Apr 15th, 2007
Location: Marracuene (The Bush), Mozambique
Posts: 4465
Equipment: A - Z (Penn Rules)
Best Catch: Lots and Lots
Favorite Fishing Spot: WorldWideWaters - (Fresh + Salt)
Boat: Got a few that can float
Club: Macaneta Ski Boat Club (MOZ)
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Batch # 1 Ok....Now my turn, I will do mine in batches....brain dead at 46! Believe it or not, I was born in the good old Oranje Vrystaat, my toppie did the mines in Welkom for about 5 years, he coined a good buck back then, after that Cape Town Vishoek (He worked for Murray & Roberts) for a few years - I was like 4 - 5yrs back then, coming from a farming back ground he went back into that, in the Southern Cape / Karoo area, as that was his aim at the time, to coin some more cash first as to extent. Fished a lot, weekends + holidays, from Blombos to Mosselbaai, Gouritz became our # 1 spot back. Being a 50 / 50 as in bi lingual - I did a lot of reading back then (Still do 5 - 6 books per month), and was captured at an early stage - relating anything to the veld / sea / lets say conversation in total. Now, I have also learned how to hunt at an early age, tracking, 'forced' survival if you want to call it that. Learning what I can eat out there, learned about herbs (yeah the smoking type too) - taking honey, catching eels and and....so this would come in to play in my Army stint later on, when I did my stint in the Parachute Battalion. Just a footnote on hunting, it was made very clear to me, whatever you shoot - you will eat. For that I am still a sports hunter, and will have a good go in 2017. A flash back on fishing back then, well we only had the Penn family....lol - 85 / 500 / 49rs, so I can safely say, I learned at an early age how to work them and how to take out "kraaineste" - even back then, we only took what we could eat, as in ok fine... 3 nice size shads - cool, ready go for a braai. I starting going to sea at the age of 6, Stilbaai and surrounds, that is where my love for the sea or being at became a yearning for my "future" life. I also lived in Gouritzmond, well there I became a mini fundi on spearfishing, paddle ski, commercial school boy ski boat angler, fundi on catching Kabeljou in the river (No smart rigs back then) - it's strange if you look back what we used back then, and what okes are using nowdays.....LOL

Last edited on Tue Nov 8th, 2016 03:49 am by Serra Moz

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Nov 8th, 2016 03:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Serra Moz
Sealiner


Joined: Sun Apr 15th, 2007
Location: Marracuene (The Bush), Mozambique
Posts: 4465
Equipment: A - Z (Penn Rules)
Best Catch: Lots and Lots
Favorite Fishing Spot: WorldWideWaters - (Fresh + Salt)
Boat: Got a few that can float
Club: Macaneta Ski Boat Club (MOZ)
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Stefan001 wrote:
Mens moet so nou en dan op sealine kom rondkrap en kyk wat vang die manne an. Nou die thread wat ek net moet op comment.

Visvang bly my nommer een stokperdtjie, hou my uit die kwaad en geld min.

2001 het ek en my pa twee metaalverklikkers gekoop en dit kompeteer goed met die visvang. Al ons finds gan in n vertoonkas in die kantoor. Volg my op Instagram om van my finds te sien #fishingthe2oceans.

Ek woon al van 1999 in Struisbaai en het my visvang geleer by Oom Adrie (Oorlede), Oom Rupert die twee ooms het hul fietse ingerig om te kan ry op die strand en van n belman vang kon jy hul niks vertel nie. Jasper is die plaat se steenbras en kabeljou koning en mag mar n plaat galjoen plattrek in die eerste brander. Harry, Mike en Blom was my fishing partners toe ek begin kompeterend vang het en het my al hul die rots en strand truuks geleer.

Salt Fishing South Africa and the era of instant Facebook Posts is upon us. But its just not the same as logging onto sealine and making a nice post about your fishing session or helping a newbie with a simple question.

You meet awesome people on sealine that influence you not only in your fishing careers but also your day to day lives.

long may it continue


Cool dude, post some pics of your finds please.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Nov 8th, 2016 03:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Serra Moz
Sealiner


Joined: Sun Apr 15th, 2007
Location: Marracuene (The Bush), Mozambique
Posts: 4465
Equipment: A - Z (Penn Rules)
Best Catch: Lots and Lots
Favorite Fishing Spot: WorldWideWaters - (Fresh + Salt)
Boat: Got a few that can float
Club: Macaneta Ski Boat Club (MOZ)
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Psy wrote:
;)
I'm with you on both accounts.
Seems that's the way it's nowadays...there's other social media platforms and groups that have replaced the idle chatter here.
Although SL is still growing...it is doing it at the expense of others,some have chosen to move on and are not seen online hy eye much.

Can't poke fingers, no-one to blame really...let time take its course.

:)


So MR. PSY, we call on you now, go on about your long line experience mate!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Nov 8th, 2016 03:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Serra Moz
Sealiner


Joined: Sun Apr 15th, 2007
Location: Marracuene (The Bush), Mozambique
Posts: 4465
Equipment: A - Z (Penn Rules)
Best Catch: Lots and Lots
Favorite Fishing Spot: WorldWideWaters - (Fresh + Salt)
Boat: Got a few that can float
Club: Macaneta Ski Boat Club (MOZ)
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
aquadementia wrote:
thanks guys! Looking forward to upgrading my lenses and body next year, hopefully I will get a baby boomslang to photograph.

Dr hoff where did you grow up?

Serra tell us! :p


Great pics buddy, yes I have been following your critter adventures on Facebook. Herewith a run down on my 2015 season, so I did like a temp job in Mozambique for a Moz lady big project next to Rio Incomati (Komati River) like an "expert" on wild life ect...Entailed removing and counting fish (all fresh water - Moz tilipia) - removing the cat fish, removing those blue malay freshwater prawn (Moz rivers infected with them) pretty big they are chomping all the fish / prawns / turtles and and - good chowing though, removed snakes.

Now I am NO snake handler, but I saw a Swazi, no fear dude! Hands on, in a bag and voila removed. I had a car accident on the 3rd of Feb 2015...downhill from then, anyways, I had malaria, tick bite fever, scorpion + spider bite, centipede bite (no match on that to date for me!!!) and got bitten by a night adder....so that is my critter or was my critter run in for 2015.

Last edited on Tue Nov 8th, 2016 03:59 am by Serra Moz

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Nov 8th, 2016 04:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Serra Moz
Sealiner


Joined: Sun Apr 15th, 2007
Location: Marracuene (The Bush), Mozambique
Posts: 4465
Equipment: A - Z (Penn Rules)
Best Catch: Lots and Lots
Favorite Fishing Spot: WorldWideWaters - (Fresh + Salt)
Boat: Got a few that can float
Club: Macaneta Ski Boat Club (MOZ)
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Dr halibut hoffman wrote:
Hi my name is Dr. Hoff..I like to fish..I'm not really a doctor! Haha..just a fishing, sea, sunshine and fresh air addict..

Ja, I am a fishing addict..I gave up on the corporate life more than a decade ago to enjoy the fresh air and move with tides..I'm not rich, but I have free time to fish, my life is rich! It has been a tough ride also with many times not being able to sniff a tide..but the road less travelled has it's perks.

I also talk to birds for fun when not working or fishing or browsing the web.. Have fish eagles, fly-catchers, robins, swallows, white eyes, prinias, sunbirds, orioles and more that come to say howsit on the regular..Have a pair of flycatchers that harass me for worms a few times a day, the male a long-time resident of the garden, will eat out of my hand, the female is a newcomer but has quickly figured out life is good here but is still a bit wary. I talk to the birds at my fishing spots, one would be amazed to know how long these little guys live, 20 years is common, and how smart they are..and how persistant they can be, a bird is a little dinosaur and they don't take no for an answer when they want something. And the will take note of you, they're not doff at all and can remember you for years like dog can. My mates ma takes the cake though, her local wild birds fly in and come sit on her head during dinner to see if there are titbits for them, his bro has an account here..They all pull more fish than I dream of but that's another story..Birdfolk ja..It's a constant bird party in my garden..When I wake up at sunrise because the birds are making such a racket, then I know I must get up and pack the car and head off to the rocks..its gonna be a good fishing day.

I propagate indigenous trees now and do some consulting to pay the petrol and bait bills and used to farm mushrooms, cucumbers, chillies, marrows, all sorts..

but ja..I've said it before..We need free s#it, and does not have to big ticket items _seal1_ That is the best value advertising, when I ran a bar, the best and cheapest advertising was always to write off 2 bottles of tequila and then walk around hand out shots and get a party started!
Also some competitions to get people posting pictures and reports..and better fishermen etiquette and better care of stocks. People are loath to post too many details, which is cool, as often the masses descend, spoil a good thing and leave a mess. Advertisers could be approached to create a cost effective win-win situation..
We also need the knots and traces section fixed or redone..someone is running the site, and whether its making bucks or just getting by or running at a loss..someone has a real stake in whether the site is busy or not, can they not just fix this finally _seal1_ Not to ***** haha..for the newbies and others..
But ja..

also in my spare time, I catch tuna on my flyboard ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbIWqukazvg

And also don't take the hits or views on a page too seriously, everytime you refresh your own page it gets viewed. 


Sweet bro, good tips on life, thanks for sharing...

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Nov 8th, 2016 06:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Psy
Sealiner


Joined: Tue Jun 3rd, 2008
Location: Langvlei Duine, Wildernis., South Africa
Posts: 6869
Equipment: Blue Marlin's/Assasins/Pentagons c/w Shimano's
Best Catch: All sorts
Favorite Fishing Spot: ><((((((ō>
Boat: ><((((((ō>
Club: <ō))))))><
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Serra Moz wrote:
Psy wrote:
;)
I'm with you on both accounts.
Seems that's the way it's nowadays...there's other social media platforms and groups that have replaced the idle chatter here.
Although SL is still growing...it is doing it at the expense of others,some have chosen to move on and are not seen online hy eye much.

Can't poke fingers, no-one to blame really...let time take its course.

:)


So MR. PSY, we call on you now, go on about your long line experience mate!



8ish

Best will be to get home and drag the albums out of storage to post pics of big fish & funny looking Japanese Ouens!

_seal1_

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Nov 8th, 2016 07:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Serra Moz
Sealiner


Joined: Sun Apr 15th, 2007
Location: Marracuene (The Bush), Mozambique
Posts: 4465
Equipment: A - Z (Penn Rules)
Best Catch: Lots and Lots
Favorite Fishing Spot: WorldWideWaters - (Fresh + Salt)
Boat: Got a few that can float
Club: Macaneta Ski Boat Club (MOZ)
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Psy wrote:
Serra Moz wrote:
Psy wrote:
;)
I'm with you on both accounts.
Seems that's the way it's nowadays...there's other social media platforms and groups that have replaced the idle chatter here.
Although SL is still growing...it is doing it at the expense of others,some have chosen to move on and are not seen online hy eye much.

Can't poke fingers, no-one to blame really...let time take its course.

:)


So MR. PSY, we call on you now, go on about your long line experience mate!



8ish

Best will be to get home and drag the albums out of storage to post pics of big fish & funny looking Japanese Ouens!

_seal1_


Will be great mate, see back in our days, we did not have digital cameras,,,,LOL, true, I have stacks and stacks of good old photos myself....but tell us about your doings, it could be an interesting thread, revival so to speak, I will do mine in drips and drabs.

I am soon to take up a bit of farming that side too, well as mentioned after March, I have goats, pigs, ducks, chickens and about 21 dogs al ready......LOL, yeah but will be getting milk goats as well, just got to push for March to finish my project then back to the sea and the farming side line, a test run. On another note we got some quad bikes and motorbikes out there too, so I cruise around on them in the bush...

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Nov 8th, 2016 01:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
andrewpalang
Member


Joined: Tue Jul 23rd, 2013
Location: Haga Haga, South Africa
Posts: 60
Equipment: Stella 14000, Spheros 5000, Black Hole Nano8'6, Assasin Amia 9'
Best Catch: 33kg Kob on 4kg line, 27kg Cuda, 50kg GT
Favorite Fishing Spot: Zambezi, Mozambique
Boat: n/a
Club: n/a
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Awesome stuff here guys. Well a little about myself then. Born in Cape Town but moved to Gonubie when I was about 3 and spent pretty much the next 12 years on the beach. My dad was big into his LTB angling and so it was only natural that I follwed this route at an early age and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was absolutly fascinated by fish to the point where I had tanks all over the house. One of my current big hobies are marine fish tanks and it all started way back then collecting fish for my tanks.

Anways fast forward a few years, after finishing school I played some pretty serious cricket and decided to study a game ranging and lodge management diploma while I was playing. I ended up helping a friend out on a reserve for what was meant to be a week and turned into almost 4 years! The bush was ultimately my life (and still is) for a long time, starting in the EC then heading to Madikwe and the Sabi Sands before taking my dream job of running a private island in the Quirimbas Archiplago!Here I built up my passion for GT fishing and had many many many memorible experiences over the next two years! Until 2014 when my wife fell pregnant and we decided to make the move back into SA.

Now we live in good old Haga Haga on the Wild Coast. I am lucky enough to be able to work from home and then travel with clients around Africa several times a year when need be! Best of all I am only a couple of minutes away from some amazing coastline and great fishing!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Nov 8th, 2016 02:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Serra Moz
Sealiner


Joined: Sun Apr 15th, 2007
Location: Marracuene (The Bush), Mozambique
Posts: 4465
Equipment: A - Z (Penn Rules)
Best Catch: Lots and Lots
Favorite Fishing Spot: WorldWideWaters - (Fresh + Salt)
Boat: Got a few that can float
Club: Macaneta Ski Boat Club (MOZ)
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
andrewpalang wrote:
Awesome stuff here guys. Well a little about myself then. Born in Cape Town but moved to Gonubie when I was about 3 and spent pretty much the next 12 years on the beach. My dad was big into his LTB angling and so it was only natural that I follwed this route at an early age and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was absolutly fascinated by fish to the point where I had tanks all over the house. One of my current big hobies are marine fish tanks and it all started way back then collecting fish for my tanks.

Anways fast forward a few years, after finishing school I played some pretty serious cricket and decided to study a game ranging and lodge management diploma while I was playing. I ended up helping a friend out on a reserve for what was meant to be a week and turned into almost 4 years! The bush was ultimately my life (and still is) for a long time, starting in the EC then heading to Madikwe and the Sabi Sands before taking my dream job of running a private island in the Quirimbas Archiplago!Here I built up my passion for GT fishing and had many many many memorible experiences over the next two years! Until 2014 when my wife fell pregnant and we decided to make the move back into SA.

Now we live in good old Haga Haga on the Wild Coast. I am lucky enough to be able to work from home and then travel with clients around Africa several times a year when need be! Best of all I am only a couple of minutes away from some amazing coastline and great fishing!


Cool bra, continue your stories, I will do so too, in drips and drabs....Fish Tanks, I had those too, well back in my Navy days, but it became a hassle - I always had to get people to look after it.

Some interesting chats will be coming up. Where else have you fished?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Nov 8th, 2016 11:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
Dr halibut hoffman
Sealiner


Joined: Wed Sep 16th, 2009
Location: Cape, South Africa
Posts: 2031
Equipment: Shimano, daiwa, a finnor and an elbe.. The rest died.
Best Catch: 145cm FL Leervis released (Shore), 80kg+ yellowfin (Boat). 83cm Cracker. ... ...
Favorite Fishing Spot: Kranse en diepsee!
Boat: 15' Skicraft cat.Canoe.
Club: Ike jime,no club
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
My Gallery: 
Copied from..

http://www.gardenbetty.com/2013/02/the-parable-of-the-mexican-fisherman/

""The Parable of the Mexican Fisherman

This story, adapted from “Anekdote zur Senkung der Arbeitsmoral,” (“Anecdote Concerning the Lowering of Productivity”) is one of the most famous short stories from German writer Heinrich Böll. It’s one little story with many little lessons that mean many different things to all kinds of people.

For me, it’s an authentic reminder that happiness is living simply… and happiness doesn’t have to wait until retirement. Your first 65 years are too precious for that.

An American executive was taking a much-needed vacation in a Mexican coastal village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

“Not very long,” answered the Mexican.

“But then, why didn’t you stay out longer and catch more?” asked the American.

The Mexican explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family.

The American asked, “But what do you do with the rest of your time?”

“I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs… I have a busy and full life.”

The American interrupted, “I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat.”

“And after that?” asked the Mexican.

“With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City! From there you can direct your huge new enterprise.”

“How long would that take?” asked the Mexican.

“Twenty, perhaps 25 years,” replied the American.

“And after that?” the Mexican asked.

“Afterwards? That’s when it gets really interesting,” answered the American, laughing. “When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!”

“Millions? Really? And after that?”

“After that you’ll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends.”"

Last edited on Wed Nov 9th, 2016 12:02 am by Dr halibut hoffman

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Nov 9th, 2016 04:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Serra Moz
Sealiner


Joined: Sun Apr 15th, 2007
Location: Marracuene (The Bush), Mozambique
Posts: 4465
Equipment: A - Z (Penn Rules)
Best Catch: Lots and Lots
Favorite Fishing Spot: WorldWideWaters - (Fresh + Salt)
Boat: Got a few that can float
Club: Macaneta Ski Boat Club (MOZ)
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Dr halibut hoffman wrote:
Copied from..

http://www.gardenbetty.com/2013/02/the-parable-of-the-mexican-fisherman/

""The Parable of the Mexican Fisherman

This story, adapted from “Anekdote zur Senkung der Arbeitsmoral,” (“Anecdote Concerning the Lowering of Productivity”) is one of the most famous short stories from German writer Heinrich Böll. It’s one little story with many little lessons that mean many different things to all kinds of people.

For me, it’s an authentic reminder that happiness is living simply… and happiness doesn’t have to wait until retirement. Your first 65 years are too precious for that.

An American executive was taking a much-needed vacation in a Mexican coastal village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

“Not very long,” answered the Mexican.

“But then, why didn’t you stay out longer and catch more?” asked the American.

The Mexican explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family.

The American asked, “But what do you do with the rest of your time?”

“I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs… I have a busy and full life.”

The American interrupted, “I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat.”

“And after that?” asked the Mexican.

“With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City! From there you can direct your huge new enterprise.”

“How long would that take?” asked the Mexican.

“Twenty, perhaps 25 years,” replied the American.

“And after that?” the Mexican asked.

“Afterwards? That’s when it gets really interesting,” answered the American, laughing. “When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!”

“Millions? Really? And after that?”

“After that you’ll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends.”"



Very good read, funny and reality - I can relate to it in the Mozambique sense, so much so - let me tell my tale regarding the locals that makes a living from the big blue.

Now, it goes like this, up to +/= 2 years ago I just take a breather of 7 to 10 days, just fishing, go to less traveled places along the Mozambican Coast. Being a but a bush baby, I ruff it out. Mostly just myself and one of my 21 dogs, depends who is behaving best the hour before I leave.

OK....so now I drive, sometimes just following tracks to get to the beach (with permit to drive on the beach et al) anyway....so I have several Safari / Pacific chillers, ready made food, meat, special bait and booze of course.

Now why go alone, well at that stage my boys were too small, and I don't like a 1000 friends anymore. Cool so I select a nice pozzy for my first day. Rods in and out, I take like 10 different rods, from A to Z...mainly I try and source my own bait, fresh - as we all know collecting your own bait is just as much fun.

The places I am referring to, are really off the beaten track, no lodges, no towns - nada! You do however get locals living along the dunes, they fish from rafts, now these okes fish for a living, not in the sense of coining a buck, but to put a fry on the table. Keep in mind there's no shops / spaza shops or whatever nearby. I found them to be top class sailors / fisherfolk, yes sailors as in yachties, as they have sails on these rafts they use for fishing. If you take binos along you will see them going out for miles and miles....so it's a feat in itself.

Anyway, now back to the locals....no electricity, no running water, yes they do have cell phones (how so??) a cheap Chinese solar panel...reception, well you have to climb the highest dune near you.

I always give them hooks, line swivels and whatever I can spare them. Should they be nearby, and I am into a black tip shark I will offer it to them, fair game, many around. They dry the shark and also fry them, or cook them in a stew, good chow, as I will then at night receive an ice cream tub, with rice veg + shark curry / coco nut stew.

ok, now relating Dr. Hoff's story to mine, I asked the dude, so why don't you catch more fish and sell more, of course he will have to walk some miles upon miles to sell it, or to reach the lodges......he said, No - it's not for him, yes just sells to his neighbours and the people around him, well not receiving money as such, but for a few potatoes (actually sweet potato) and coco nuts - more like a trade off. He said, I go fish early, I am back early - to take care of my goats, chickens, ducks and garden, as my wife sells these on weekends, walking miles as to be able to create and receive some income, so that his kids can go to school, so that they don't have to end up like him, he said.....well, I am not suffering I selected to do this, fish and little farming, to stay away from the towns and cities...."they are bad people"...Now he will go home....so the next day he will pop by again, scoring some ciggies from me, bringing me water...(I have my own) but perhaps he thought, eish this muzungu is all on his own...let me take him some water, Now for me, chatting to these folks, makes you think, that is why I have been enjoying them for years - salt of the earth, true to the bone. Most of their kids will end up working at lodges nearby, they will learn English and become barmen, boat skippers etc....One thing about Mozambique in most places, you can fish at night alone, with or without a dog....and no one will hassle you, no one will rob you, you might get visitors like the fellow I discussed, they will make you a fire, not asking you a cent......of course if you have ciggies, hooks, line and wine....you are the man. If they like you....they will offer you what they brew, it's like Cane (rough cachaca) and some local brew beer, will hammer you. At times it's difficult to communicate with them, as they do not speak fluent Portuguese, but a mixture of Shangana and little Portuguese.

Last edited on Wed Nov 9th, 2016 04:43 am by Serra Moz

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Nov 9th, 2016 11:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
Malboer
Member


Joined: Mon Nov 18th, 2013
Location: Matola, Mozambique
Posts: 329
Equipment: Daiwa Sealine sl Reels, Shimano Beastmaster rods
Best Catch:  YFT 20KG Couta 20Kg GT 15KG
Favorite Fishing Spot:  Millibangalala
Boat: Stealth Pro fisha 575
Club: Malboer @ Wahoo.please
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Spot on Serra

Been living in Moz for 8 years without a hint of trouble.
the guys in the far off destinations are great people and live a hard life that is why they still appreciate everyone. Treat them with respect and they will treat you with it too. My fishing is mostly done in spots away from the regular tourist traps and as you said i like going to places where you still take a little twee spoor paadjie down to the beach. Comunication with the locals is All good to me as i have learnt shangaan mix swazi at a young age( also in the free state from the mine nogal) and portugese since i have lived here so i speak a mix of the two languages as well.

whatsapp and other groups are killing the forums not only here but on other forums too.

Sealine have been good to me so willing to share with others. get the topics flowing.

Regards to all
Malboer

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Nov 9th, 2016 11:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
Serra Moz
Sealiner


Joined: Sun Apr 15th, 2007
Location: Marracuene (The Bush), Mozambique
Posts: 4465
Equipment: A - Z (Penn Rules)
Best Catch: Lots and Lots
Favorite Fishing Spot: WorldWideWaters - (Fresh + Salt)
Boat: Got a few that can float
Club: Macaneta Ski Boat Club (MOZ)
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Malboer wrote:
Spot on Serra

Been living in Moz for 8 years without a hint of trouble.
the guys in the far off destinations are great people and live a hard life that is why they still appreciate everyone. Treat them with respect and they will treat you with it too. My fishing is mostly done in spots away from the regular tourist traps and as you said i like going to places where you still take a little twee spoor paadjie down to the beach. Comunication with the locals is All good to me as i have learnt shangaan mix swazi at a young age( also in the free state from the mine nogal) and portugese since i have lived here so i speak a mix of the two languages as well.

whatsapp and other groups are killing the forums not only here but on other forums too.

Sealine have been good to me so willing to share with others. get the topics flowing.

Regards to all
Malboer



Shot for popping in bro! Yeah, as you can see we really need to revive this a little, referring to SL in total.....so I just started this thread, merely as a means of talking k*k, old stories, and as we remember stuff to add it on, furthermore stuff we do, besides fishing, like farming ...collecting stuff, so feel free to add bro. Did you manage to sell your outboard?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Nov 9th, 2016 11:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
Malboer
Member


Joined: Mon Nov 18th, 2013
Location: Matola, Mozambique
Posts: 329
Equipment: Daiwa Sealine sl Reels, Shimano Beastmaster rods
Best Catch:  YFT 20KG Couta 20Kg GT 15KG
Favorite Fishing Spot:  Millibangalala
Boat: Stealth Pro fisha 575
Club: Malboer @ Wahoo.please
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
No Its still up for grabs. but as Cam suggested I think I will be better off trying to swop it for my required size motor. but willing to sell as well will put up some pics of it later under the buy and sell. Well for me the farm have taken priority with the drought and so forth so fishing have been slow. going to fish with the stealth guys At techobanine from the 21st to 27 November so I'm itching for fishing at the moment. will do a short report when I get back. so for now its back to chasing water until then.

Regards
Malboer

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Nov 9th, 2016 11:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
Serra Moz
Sealiner


Joined: Sun Apr 15th, 2007
Location: Marracuene (The Bush), Mozambique
Posts: 4465
Equipment: A - Z (Penn Rules)
Best Catch: Lots and Lots
Favorite Fishing Spot: WorldWideWaters - (Fresh + Salt)
Boat: Got a few that can float
Club: Macaneta Ski Boat Club (MOZ)
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Malboer wrote:
No Its still up for grabs. but as Cam suggested I think I will be better off trying to swop it for my required size motor. but willing to sell as well will put up some pics of it later under the buy and sell. Well for me the farm have taken priority with the drought and so forth so fishing have been slow. going to fish with the stealth guys At techobanine from the 21st to 27 November so I'm itching for fishing at the moment. will do a short report when I get back. so for now its back to chasing water until then.

Regards
Malboer



Drought all over mate, what you got on the farm, as mentioned in previous post, been busy as well on plot target / goal - or I wish to get it all done by March. Looking at getting some pigs, milk goats, sheep....etc, secure the milk goats, will only come around in March or that's the plan at least. Still looking for some hens for eggs, some Turkey...well long run still to March, but I am looking and checking where I can get, not too much around in Moz. What you got on your spot?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Nov 9th, 2016 01:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
Dr halibut hoffman
Sealiner


Joined: Wed Sep 16th, 2009
Location: Cape, South Africa
Posts: 2031
Equipment: Shimano, daiwa, a finnor and an elbe.. The rest died.
Best Catch: 145cm FL Leervis released (Shore), 80kg+ yellowfin (Boat). 83cm Cracker. ... ...
Favorite Fishing Spot: Kranse en diepsee!
Boat: 15' Skicraft cat.Canoe.
Club: Ike jime,no club
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
My Gallery: 










Here's my chom and his bird joining for breakfast this morning..This guy used to sleep on the towel rail in the bathroom at night until about a year and half ago when he found a mate. If you look carefully, outeniqua yellowwood, I propagate them, in the background..if anyone needs, I have hundreds in bags ready to go! :)

Last edited on Wed Nov 9th, 2016 02:02 pm by Dr halibut hoffman

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Nov 9th, 2016 02:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
Serra Moz
Sealiner


Joined: Sun Apr 15th, 2007
Location: Marracuene (The Bush), Mozambique
Posts: 4465
Equipment: A - Z (Penn Rules)
Best Catch: Lots and Lots
Favorite Fishing Spot: WorldWideWaters - (Fresh + Salt)
Boat: Got a few that can float
Club: Macaneta Ski Boat Club (MOZ)
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Dr halibut hoffman wrote:










Here's my chom and his bird joining for breakfast this morning..This guy used to sleep on the towel rail in the bathroom at night until about a year and half ago when he found a mate. If you look carefully, outeniqua yellowwood, I propagate them, in the background..if anyone needs, I have hundreds in bags ready to go! :)



Lekka man, gooi more pics!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Nov 9th, 2016 02:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
Serra Moz
Sealiner


Joined: Sun Apr 15th, 2007
Location: Marracuene (The Bush), Mozambique
Posts: 4465
Equipment: A - Z (Penn Rules)
Best Catch: Lots and Lots
Favorite Fishing Spot: WorldWideWaters - (Fresh + Salt)
Boat: Got a few that can float
Club: Macaneta Ski Boat Club (MOZ)
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Malboer wrote:
No Its still up for grabs. but as Cam suggested I think I will be better off trying to swop it for my required size motor. but willing to sell as well will put up some pics of it later under the buy and sell. Well for me the farm have taken priority with the drought and so forth so fishing have been slow. going to fish with the stealth guys At techobanine from the 21st to 27 November so I'm itching for fishing at the moment. will do a short report when I get back. so for now its back to chasing water until then.

Regards
Malboer


Hercules put some pics of your farm on please mate

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Nov 11th, 2016 01:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
Stefan001
Senior Member
 

Joined: Tue Aug 10th, 2010
Location: Struisbaai, South Africa
Posts: 529
Equipment: Saltist 50, .45mm KFGH, Kingfisher braid Custom Built Chris Uys ...
Best Catch: Saltist 50, .45mm KFGH, Kingfisher braid Custom Built Chris Uys ...Galjoen 3.1kg, Musselcracker 16kg, 9.7kg, 9.3kg, Steenbras 12.7kg, 10.9kg, 9kg. ...
Favorite Fishing Spot: Struisbaai Plaat and Suiderstrand, Kanon and boggomsbaai
Boat: Do not own a boat.
Club: No
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Here are some pictures of some of my finds

[URL=http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/Stefan222/media/IMG_20160213_213412_zpshaedlu2j.jpg.html][/url]

[URL=http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/Stefan222/media/IMG-20140916-WA0007_zps7kepl4ft.jpg.html][/url]

[URL=http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/Stefan222/media/20160829_204109_zpssylsoyap.jpg.html][/url]

[URL=http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/Stefan222/media/20160829_204048_zpslwyrogcb.jpg.html][/url]

1846 Shilling

[URL=http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/Stefan222/media/20161104_102918_zpsisavko87.jpg.html][/url]

1902 British Tickey

[URL=http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/Stefan222/media/20160903_162949_zpsiacmuyyj.jpg.html][/url]
9ct Belt buckle ring with small diamond

[URL=http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/Stefan222/media/20161016_201947_zpsskfke2rz.jpg.html][/url]

Paul Kruger coin Ring silver

[URL=http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/Stefan222/media/20160802_195755_zpsre5pcg9l.jpg.html][/url]

[URL=http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/Stefan222/media/20160628_191758_zpsfa7i8vso.jpg.html][/url]

Made some sinkers out of my sinker finds.

[URL=http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/Stefan222/media/20160822_191131_zpso6cb1bb6.jpg.html][/url]

Silver finds from an afternoon. Two shilling from 1930.

[URL=http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/Stefan222/media/20160319_191648_zpsuhtukos9.jpg.html][/url]

Days hunting

[URL=http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/Stefan222/media/20160802_200425_zpsremgsara.jpg.html][/url]

Some of the yellow stuff

[URL=http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/Stefan222/media/20160908_211616_zps5bqhvgau.jpg.html][/url]

[URL=http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/Stefan222/media/20160908_211642_zpstyvdzycb.jpg.html][/url]

VOC 1744 one Duit coin minted in Zeeland in the Netherlands. My oldest coin to date found in a river in the western cape.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Nov 11th, 2016 01:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
Serra Moz
Sealiner


Joined: Sun Apr 15th, 2007
Location: Marracuene (The Bush), Mozambique
Posts: 4465
Equipment: A - Z (Penn Rules)
Best Catch: Lots and Lots
Favorite Fishing Spot: WorldWideWaters - (Fresh + Salt)
Boat: Got a few that can float
Club: Macaneta Ski Boat Club (MOZ)
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Wow Wow, thank you so much for sharing, crazy stuff dude! I hope you hit a tonne of gold one day! Tell me or us, how much is a basic start up kit?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply


Current time is 04:32 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
SEALINE - South African Angling and Boating Community > Non-Angling Discussion Area > Lounge > Hobbies / Collections / Sports / Interests ???? Top